On 6 Apr 2010, at 20:35, Martin Spott wrote:

>> Except in the case of an accident or mechanical failure, you would
>> *never* be sitting on the threshold with your engine off, especially
>> at a big airport like KSFO (unless you wanted to give your plane and
>> yourself a 747-sized colon exam).  I think that  option #1 is ideal
>> for new users, but option #2 would be OK if we want to distinguish
>> ourselves from MSFS by making things more difficult.
>
> Indeed, a valid point !

I've started creating some properties under /sim/realism (mostly booleans for
the moment), with the expectation that at some point we can create a GUI, and
also use some Nasal to batch-configure the individual settings for different
applications - flight trainer, game mode, kiosk, etc, etc. I'd be happy to add
a /sim/realism/start-parked and /sim/realism/start-dark (though the latter
involves aircraft designer help to hook the optional autostart functions of
each aircraft).

My concern is touching the dreaded position init code, which is already baroque
and complex. There's also the question of guessing a parking position when we
don't have parking stand data - eg picking a point some distance away from the
runway centerline (runway width * 5, maybe?), level with the threshold - but
like all heuristics, this one has problems.

Regards,
James