My two cents:

Subscriptions need bookkeeping and decent administration of valid user
accounts etc.. While there might be someone out there that is willing to
do this task at this point in time, that will end some day. It will
probably be hard to find volunteers for this task.

I am in favor of donations, where fund raising is organised every year
or so. A budget for server and bandwidth of $10000 devided by 500
donators would amount to $20. Heck, I would be willing to pay for
several years in advance for that kind of money if the payment method is
suitable.
I would be surprised if there would be difficulties in raising enough money.