Stefan Seifert wrote:
> On Thursday 07 October 2010 17:38:13 Curtis Olson wrote:
>

>> I haven't researched this, but I wonder what a fair price would be to rent
>> a dedicated linux server with an unmetered 100mbit connection to the
>> internet? Would that be sufficient to run a good multiplayer server?
>>

> One company that I can certainly recommend is Hetzner in Germany
> (www.hetzner.de). I pay 49 Euros per month for a root server with a Core
> i7-920, 8GB RAM and 2x750GB HDD. 100MBit/s connection with unlimited traffic.
> Unlimited meaning 5TB/month after which speed gets reduced to 10MBit/s.
>
> They also have smaller offers like an entry server at 29 Euros per month for
> which you get an Athlon 64, 1GB RAM, and 2 TB traffic.
>
> No, I do not work for them, but I'm a very satisfied customer who hasn't
> found
> nearly bang for the buck and quality anywhere else :) But if someone can
> correct me, I'd be grateful.
>
> Stefan

The Problem with Hetzner occurres when you start needing more fancy
stuff, like decent IO, decent RAID, wand to work with ESX(i), etc.
However, nowhere else will you get any server for that low price with
those specs - sadly they let you pay for every extra something.
i am not particularly satisfied with Hetzner, and have some worries
there may be some insiders working with non-EU cracking groups, spam
networks and the likes.
The latency is not the greates there either, which can in some games and
network protocols be quite crucial - i have no idea how important that
is to FG though.

however, if there is a server floating around which merely needs
co-locating, hetzner does that too, and then all services seem a lot
better - e.g. ip addresses are no longer bound to a mac address,
ordering multiple ip addresses do not require an additional charge of 15
EUR / month for something called "Flexi-Pack" (that is the most
rediculous thing i have ever heard of with regards to hosting plans).

if you can weigh out what is needed currently and what could be needed
in the next, say 3 to 5 years and you believe it will patch a hetzner
plan (by the way you can cancle contracts there on a monthly basis),
then i can support the move.

greets
Nathanael