> We could certainly explore the donation route.  I'm doing a little bit of
> research to try to determine what the realistic costs would be to setup a
> dedicated server to run a multiplayer system.  That will give us a better
> idea what we need to shoot for.

I agree that we need some real numbers before we can say what is realistic.

I'm firmly of the opinion that whatever we do has to be completely voluntary. I
don't really like the idea of a subscription based MP server. Neither do I like
an advertising supported model. It feels like a pain to manage.

The model I do like is one that seems to work for a jazz station I listen to:
KCSM. They have fundraising drives every six months or so to cover their
running costs. People give what they can but there is no obligation and no set
amount.

I like the idea of outsourcing the collection if we can find a suitable
organisation but I suspect there are enough people with moderately deep pockets
that it could be managed informally. The fewer actual donations, the less admin
is required.     I'd be willing to contribute £100 a year if someone else
matched me. A couple more pledges like that and I'm sure we'd get there. I've
known many people on this list long enough that I'd be happy to send them that
amount of money on trust.

-Stuart