On 10/7/2010 10:38 AM, Curtis Olson wrote:

> I haven't researched this, but I wonder what a fair price would be to
> rent a dedicated linux server with an unmetered 100mbit connection to
> the internet?  Would that be sufficient to run a good multiplayer server?

Curt,

I think a single commercial sponsor with a deep interest (by inclination
and business model) in flying would be best.  The sponsor would agree to
pay for the server & bandwidth in exchange for mention on the web site
(prominently or certainly distinguishable as separate and unrelated to
any google ads that appear there now).  Perhaps mention on the
multiplayer map also.

You would probably have to actively seek out such a sponsor.  One
suggestion would be an outfit like Sporty's (sportys.com).  They appear
to have a real-life affiliate network of flight schools geared toward
serving people who want to enter aviation.  I once ordered their free
"Your First Hour of Flight" DVD... and soon got correspondence from a
local flight school seeing if I wanted to get started ;)

With FlightGear being a low cost way for someone to "get flying", I
think a company such as Sporty's would find sponsoring FlightGear an
appropriate use of marketing funds.

Thanks,

Reagan