On 2010-11-21 12.44, James Turner wrote:

> On 21 Nov 2010, at 01:43, Heiko Schulz wrote:
>> I prefer fixing instead of releasing

Fixers and releasers can be different people. Of course, releasers need
to be given the power of steering fixers focus. (Yes I know that people
are working voluntarily and can spend their time on what they want so
please spare me the rant).

> There's a key point here - in the past, people only test release
> builds - despite pre-relases being made Part of the hope of Hudson,
> though I didn't get it working yet, is to make it trivial to produce
> pre-release binaries. Once we do that, people (that's people 'not
> developers') need to test them, and submit bugs. If you aren't a
> coder, and want to make FG better, that's the single most useful
> thing you can do. The only QA resource we have, to make the official
> releases better, is the end users. That's not ideal, but it's how it
> goes.
>
> (The annual stable release cycle also hinders us here, but that's
> another thing we can hopefully improve by making stable releases
> happen a bit more often - one month after the 2.0 release, Git/CVS
> was in a much better, more stable state than the 2.0 release)
>
> In the meantime, test the nightlies, or your own build, or any other
> recent build,  and *file bugs* - and be prepared to re-test them, or
> check which open bugs you filed are still hanging around three months
> later.  If it's a crash, provide a stack-trace, or some consistent
> steps to reproduce the crash.

I concur with James and like to emphasis the usefulness of releasing
often, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Release_early,_release_often

Releasing often will enable developers to fix bugs against well defined
states of the software and testers to report problems found in well
defined releases. Today, there is a fairly short list of people
reporting and testing the development branch and flightgear is missing
out from the massive parallel testing potentially available. Harvesting
the user base for testing is only possible if packages are made
available regularly and easily accessibly.

The problem of having users, non-developers, reporting bugs is that is
fairly hard to find the proper place to file bug reports for flightgear
_AND_ the responses on this list can be  ... let us say, dismissive. If
non-developers are going to report problems (more than once) they should
be met with respect even if they did not file a full report. Developers
and hobbyist flightgear builders like me should be able to provide good
bug reports but people responding to bug reports must be able to
discriminate between types of reporters.

I think Hudson is a very good effort and I hope Hudson will soon be able
to produce a full (64bit) mac application with the GUI starter and the
works. I'd rather be on the user/tester side than keep building
flightgear myself.

Cheers,

Jari