On 11.12.2010 09:16, Durk Talsma wrote:

Firstly, what is the next version number going to be. My initial
thought would be 2.1.0, but it also makes sense to call if 2.2.0
(thanks for the suggestion, James), so that we can reserve 2.1.0. for
bugfixes on the current version, or at least move toward a versioning
system like that (i.e. the next series could be 2.2.0 for stable, and
2.3.0. for development).

 +1! A scheme which covers stable/unstable (GIT) versions seems a very good
idea. Many people are using the GIT version, so it'd be good to have a
specific version for such builds. But bugfixes should only affect the third
version number then, i.e. a bugfix for the 2.0 stable should be 2.0.1. It
sill makes sense to move to 2.2.0 now - stable release versions should be
even.

 Seconly, do we want to maintain our current aircraft selection, or do
we want to include a (partially) updated selection from our git
repository, or -alternatively- do we want to strip the entire
selection down to just single aircraft, and make the others
downloadable from our main website. I know that James turner is
working towards an infrastructure that should enable this, but I'm not
sure whether we are already comfortable enough to just use one single
aircraft.

 The new system allowing multiple aircraft dirs works great. However, it
seems not too many people have used it so far.
And at some point after the release, we wanted to split FGDATA into several
smaller repositories (I know Tim has already been working on this), so we'd
be introducing a new system for 2.3 (GIT) / 2.4 (future stable) anyway. So
it might be better to stick with the current system for this release and not
have another unnecessary intermediate. And we'd get a lot of GIT users
testing the new directory and distribution system with 2.3.0 - so that would
be rock stable for 2.4.

cheers,
Thorsten