On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 8:12 PM, John Denker wrote:

<snip>

> To work properly, atis.cxx needs not only the standard ATIS phraseology
> but also the /names/ of the ATIS/AWOS sites (usually but not necessarily
> airports).  If you include the names of all US airports, the .vce file
> has more than 2300 entries and the .wav file is more than 30 megabytes.

One begins to wonder whether some of the place-names should be loaded
> on a tile-by-tile basis (like scenery) rather than in one big chunk.

Yes, I think this is the way to go in the future, also the phraseology can
be refined per geographical area.  However, for now I'll just bung in the
default file for the release.  I can either do the current scheme of all the
base package airports with ATIS + a selection of very major ones, or all the
US ones with ATIS.  Is 30 MB too much to add to FG's memory requirement in
one hit?

> <snip>
>
> > I am hoping to record the extra words next week during the holiday
>
> I can send you the words and/or the script I used to synthesize them.

If you can email me the words and script that would be great.  It took quite
a long time to index all the words when I did the original recording - this
should be a lot quicker.

> <snip>
>
> As you know, there are no currency requirements for listening to ATCT
> controllers ... whereas there are important currency requirements
> for instrument approaches, and (with or without a Tower) it is hard
> to shoot the approach without ATIS information such as weather,
> altimeter, approach-in-use, et cetera.

Agreed, with the real weather ATIS is fairly essential!

> Constructive suggestion:  If you're going to port something, you
> might as well start from
>
> http://gitorious.org/~jsd/fg/sport-model/commits/atis<http://gitorious.org/%7Ejsd/fg/sport-model/commits/atis>

OK, will take a look, thanks.

Cheers - Dave