On Friday 24 December 2010 20:14:17 James Turner wrote:
> Looks very interesting - have you used it yourself? Would be good to know
> how complete, actively maintained and so on it is.
I've used Flite to generate voices in ATC simulations (so that you can listen
to the commands between simulated pilots and controllers). It worked quite
well, the speech was understandable quite well, even if it sounded very
artificial. On the other hand, one could certain do a better voice for ATC as
the vocabulary is very limited in this case.

> I'd sooner ship 2mb of code than 30mb of wav files, if it opens the door to
> arbitrary, ideally Nasal-based, ATC/ATIS/etc. Festival has always been too
> scary to consider embedding.

Full Ack. Even if Flite is a little bit larger when beeing included
(statically):

2,0M    /usr/local/lib/libflite_cmu_us_kal.a
508K    /usr/local/lib/libflite_usenglish.a
652K    /usr/local/lib/libflite_cmulex.a
1,3M    /usr/local/lib/libflite.a

And I don't know how well Flite works on non-Unix platforms like windoze, and
how active it is maintained currently...

Regards,

Mirko