On Sat, 22 Jan 2011 21:47:47 +0800, Harry wrote in message
<AANLkTi==Hrq1ZkQi38+u42y40rg=nw1zrvp8u15ha...@mail.gmail.com>:

> Could I ask how the latest  git repositories fall in.
>
> For info:
> I have just installed via network the latest version of Debian Lenny

..Lenny is too old for FG-2.2/git, add backports or go Sid or Squeeze.
Squeeze is Debian testing and the next Debian stable release, some
time this spring, I take it we want Squeeze to ship with FG-2.2.

..quickest way is swap Lenny for Sid in your /etc/apt/sources.list
and do an 'aptitude update &&aptitude safe-upgrade &&aptitude
full-upgrade'

> (so I can buld FG debian liveboot images) after many years of
> building FG on Suse distros.
>
> I found a few Debian funnies (to me), a complete new arrangment of X
> for one, but understand different distros sometimes do things
> differenty and I am feeling my way. But i think the nvidia driver is
> ok (module loaded and good video) but glx info is not availible?

..you have mesa-utils?  (Is that the right one for nvidea users?)

..another reason for Debian Sid, or Debian Squeeze, they add the
nouveau X driver that the nvidea owners can use to verify Nvidea
is doing the right things in X, FG, etc, X.org's nv can only do
software rendering.

> Also some oddies with unavailible dependancies for OSG. cairo,
> poppler-glib, librsvg-, gtk+_2.0 and Gtkglext-x11-1.0, it seemd to
> compile an install ok and osgview is functional. I am not sure if
> these missing items will effect FG.
>
> I followed a rather good Debian FG install page from the wiki which
> listed the OSG dependacies, ( I assume as far as FG is concerned)
> they all were downloadable and installed ok.
>
> So first build of SG and FG went OK, but FG had a seg fault when it
> fired off the second thread, "splash screen progress setting up time
> and render". from gdb I figured OSG problem.
>
> So grabed the very latest OSG.  2.9.11 i think, however SG compile
> drops on another OSG issue.
>
> So for now I have been back to the nvidia setup and rebuilding OSG. I
> might have more os dependacie issues to sort, this is not the place
> to enquire about them unless somewone has just setup a new Debian net
> install.

..an easier way to find out is make an usb-image we can put on keys and
try boot, nearly all machines that can run FG, can also boot off usb,
and you probably don't wanna do a nvidea-only FG net booter.

> I have problems but i dont think they are actually FG related. I need
> to follow them up on other forums.
>
> What I would like to confirm is, are there any issues with the
> lastest git OSG with respect to the latest SG/FG git sources? Also if
> anyone has dealt with this latest Debian lenny from a FG point of
> veiw..

..I can only confirm Debian Live and FG-git builds and works ok on my
laptop on Debian Sid/Experimental and I have 15 to 20 fps @ 1920x1200
with --full-screen on Debian's Experimental radeon, running it windowed
in KDE-4.4.5-8 cuts that by half.

> If so what is the best version of OSG to install as I have seen
> numous posts here and on forums pertaining to changes of OSG of late?.

..IMHO, whichever OSG ships with Debian Squeeze or Sid.

> Regards Harry

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: