On Sun, 23 Jan 2011 01:51:26 +0800, Harry wrote in message
<aanlktimivsrmafkx14o0pjb6utjp9fs4xa8cnnyry...@mail.gmail.com>:

> Hello again Arnt,
>
> As you would have guessed I am working my way towards debian live as
> per your advice previously.
>

> For now I am leaning my way around Debians way of doing things. Rather
> pleased as I have just compiled todays SVS against OSG 2.8.8.3 (as
> advised by Thorsten) on Lenny and it appears to run quite nicely. It
> was however a long haul, quite a few apps from backports and where
> ever else along the way. I had not been near a kernel rebuild since I
> put a soundblaster card to RedHat3.

..I ditched SuSE-5.2 for RH-5.2 before I learned to
insmod the sound card driver. ;oD

> A lot of mucking around to get the "nvidia" module loaded and driver
> running, a new learning curve along the way. But that gives me some
> debian "grounding" before I start to build my image files

..aye, and most of these things are easier with Sid or Squeeze.

> This box will take over all of the server duties from the suse box
> and be a platform for building my live boot images.

..another reason for the latest stuff, is GCC-4.5 and 4.6
are noisier about warnings and errors, where the earlier
compilers are (too?) silent.  FG-git builds fine with
GCC-4.5.2-1, so I'm headed for GCC-4.6-20110116-1 or
whatever it is tonight. ;o)

> My FG machines are all the same Nvida card and Intel mother boards to
> this one.

..a mono-culture that may introduce FG bugs like those in my
screenshots?:  https://github.com/gasguru/flightgearthings

..a way to weed those out, is install and run
xserver-xorg-video-nouveau and libdrm-nouveau1
alongside your Nvidia drivers so you can check
your FG work and flog x.org into beating Nvidia.

..no, I'm not even sure are FG bugs, it _could_
be my laptop's video, or the radeon driver, all
I can say is Debian's FG-1.9.1 and earlier looked
just like your screenshots, Debian's FG-2.0.0-2
flickered wildly with Imperial German WWI camo
canvases changing every frame, and FG-git is fine
with only some planes flickering or funny shade
colors, one of them is FG's default C172P.

> To be honest I installed mesa but not sure if was the correct one, so
> many apt-gets and dpkg commands in one day!
>
> I will let it run the updates to sid over night and see what happens
> in the morning.
>
> No big issue to wipe the system and start again with a minimal text
> system and upgrade to twm and an xserver from from there, if teh
> upgrade is not sucessfull because of something I have installed.

..aye, but yet another reason you will love Debian Live,
one of the reasons it is this good, is how Debian developers
_hate_ reinstalling or losing uptime, on kernel upgrades,
we "no longer" reboot, we now load the new kernel into ram,
and then "hand over the box to the new kernel." ;o)

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: