Dear Subscribers,

I'm in the unfortunate situation that I want to build from GIT and
therefore need the fgdata. But despite my rather good (20Mbs) connection
it's impossible for me to obtain the whole repository from scratch. It's
about 8.4 Gigabytes, I can rightfully assume one of the biggest
repositories that GIT has ever seen and, for just the size of the data
without history, probably the biggest there exist.

Bottom line: It's a mess and GIT hasn't been made for that. Over the
years everything has just been shoveled into that single repository and
that pays back now that it cannot be pulled any longer. Not even on an 1
year old bundle, let alone from scratch.

It's not my idea to resolve this scenario, but since I'm so badly
affected by it it's my very interest that it gets on the way. Said
ahead, I'm really a newcomer to git and many of you will most likely
know better how to do that but I can at least provide my idea:

git filter-branch should be readily able to clear out history based upon
directory paths, which is exactly what we need.

Whatever significantly reduces the size of fgdata and gives it a
consitent concept is fine, here is just what I thought would be good.
fgdata should be only the VERY BARE ESSENTIALS to run the binary.
Possibly some generic stuff like effects, too.

Copy & Paste from gitorious web if. I marked the things that should go
into separate repos. Without warranty, I'm no expert of the structure:

        AI/             AIR
        Aircraft/       AIRCRAFT (each Aircraft its own repo)
        Aircraft-uiuc/  AIRCRAFT (dito)
        Airports/       SCENERY
Astro/
        ATC/
AtlasPalette
AUTHORS
ChangeLog
COPYING
Docs/
Effects/
        Environment/
Fonts/
gui/
HLA/
Huds/
Input/
joysticks.xml
keyboard.xml
Lighting/
materials.dtd
materials.xml
mice.xml
        Models/
MP/
Nasal/
Navaids/
NEWS
options.xml
preferences.xml
Protocol/
README
runfgfs.bat
        Scenery/        SCENERY
Shaders/
        Sounds/         MISC
        Textures/       MISC
Textures.high/          MISC
Thanks
Timezone/
        Traffic/        AIR
Translations/
version

Now I admit that isn't perfect. I think every aircraft should have its
own independent repo, meaning that everything associated with that
specific plane goes into that repo, but it's pretty close already.

Thank you very much for helping getting this on the way!

-- Cedric