Geoff, I applied both of your patches, see here:
https://gitorious.org/papillon81/terragear-cs

Until now I had no crashes or negative effects on the resulting scenery.
However, there IS a problem, unrelated to your patches, for which I hope to
get some help.
I create large chunks of scenery with CORINE and OSM data. fgfs-construct
runs quite some hours for it and i see the processing is fine. Then, after
some time (say 6 hours), all I see in the console output are colums with
"Default=x" where x is a number between 1 and 3. This goes on and on for
hours and I stopped it yesterday. Is this supposed normal behaviour? Maybe
the process is hanging somewhere, the CPU is buisy the whole time.

Any ideas?

Cheers
Chris