anyone looked at docbook. It would solve the problem.. but its a horrible to
use.. but there again that was with my experience a few years ago doing a
major update to smarty.php (had to it as my team was using it and was paid
as thus by my boss)

I certainly think that a "html5/xml" approach is cool approach.. nowadays
and wish to help... I dont like pdf's when I try to mix or even knock them
off from the server "live", unlike other "archived docs"... pdf editing to
me is an art form..

But IMHO we would need to take the markup approach from now.. maybe even a
fresh start... and "cut and paste" stuff across..
eg
<article>
   <section land="en">this is english, and maybe the source</section>
   <section lang="de">this a lang section but also maybe this last line a
source</section>
   <section lang="ed">this aanother lang section</section>
</article>

certainly having files side by side can be a good way of translating..
eg a geman commit -  to
/ils/glideslope.en.html <!--  please fix spelling mistake... ;-) -->
/ils/glideslope.ge.html <!-- correcting english mistake... ;-) -->

and thus an observation by another to translate file in same patch and
topic...
ALso..
me need to structure the "manual" into chapters.. but obvious ones in
directories that diectly map to url's
eg
/aiports/atc
/airport/runway/papi
/glossay/atc, papi,

I still like Jomo idea of a flight school very much.. starting from the
bottom up.. from a cadet to a commander, atc et all

Certainly though, looking toward the future and more usage.. and more eyes..
we should plan for that, not only in printed media.. but in game help of
ipods of a website browsing on an olde retired FG machine....

The main issue to consider is whether is actually "a flight manual" of now
to fly an aircaft, or the simulation ..  or both

We'd need to make it "original" and copyrightable to every contibutor to
make it 100% proof..

just some thoughts...

pete