Hi Tom,

Thanks for adding the png texture... Now they look
like trees ;=)) not square buildings...
 http://geoffair.org/tmp/fgfs-screen-003.png
 http://geoffair.org/tmp/fgfs-screen-004.png

But still no problem loading in my machine...

And switching to your second test, EHLE, using 10K
trees, again no problems loading -
 http://geoffair.org/tmp/fgfs-screen-005.png

And actually I chose to ADD the 10,000 python
generated objects into the existing 3040154.stg...

Naturally the scenery loading stage seemed longer,
but no freeze... and my frame rate was down to
about 15 fps...

I even tried a _MAD_ example of 100,000 trees...

This certainly took lots longer to load... the fading
of the splash alone took about a minute... reduced
my frame rate to 1, and the rendering engine refused
to paint them all...
 http://geoffair.org/tmp/fgfs-screen-006.png

Well the size of the block was continuing to grow
all the time - I could see the rendering thread
add trees, horizontal, row by row, so maybe if I
had waited the time...

Still no freeze exactly ;=() unless you count
this very-slow-rendering... maybe that is what
you are experiencing... with a Pentium 4...

I had fgfs running for 20+ minutes to get that
far even with my Core 2 Quad cpu...

Or maybe, as Csaba points out, there may be some
timing / threading issue, but nothing shows up
on my machine...

Enough FUN with trees ;=)) Now to remember to put
my scenery back to what it was...

Sorry can not help more...

Regards,
Geoff.