On Mon, 2012-01-02 at 17:10 +0000, Martin Spott wrote:
> Martin Spott wrote:
>
> > Shapefile download might/should be working again. Please test,
> > particularly the assigned reference system, and report.
>
> If people don't think it's worth testing, then I might think it's not
> worth maintaining ....
>
>       Martin.
Hi Martin,

Just tried a 4x4 degrees around YGIL -
  N -29, S -33, W 146, E 150

Downloads from the WEB page -
===========================

(a) Custom Scenery - worked fine... zip downloaded and
appears valid... and has 11 shapefiles... 44 files...

(b) CLC2000v13 - got a 404 error - Not Found

The requested URL /download/1e82c1e0-6193-47d1-8af4-692aa2b30017.zip
 was not found on this server.

Repeated, with same 404, different zip -

The requested URL /download/b7668570-9f06-4cf6-981a-bbb465901c5c.zip
was not found on this server.

(c) OpenStreetMap - appeared to work fine... a zip downloaded
and appeared valid... BUT contains just one file, COPYING???

And the contents of this COPYING file was -
<quote>
Map data (c) OpenStreetMap contributors, CC-BY-SA

http://www.openstreetmap.org/
</quote>

And repeating the download got the same result!!! ;=((

(d) But doing individual layer downloads, like osm_rail,
osm_river, osm_tertiary - the only 4 tried at this time,
worked fine... shapefiles look good...

So I got problems just with (b) CLC2000v13 and
(c) OpenStreetMap...

But since it was my first try with both of these,
do not know if it is the result of the recent changes,
or if it has existed for some time...

Direct URL downloading...
======================

Have not yet had a chance to again test direct URL
down loading, but will get around to it, and advise any
problems...

This programmed URL downloading is the method I use
normally, usually from within a script/program, and this
worked fine on my last downloads a week or so back...

Will test more as time permits, and the need develops ;=))

Summary
=======

To me this is a VERY valuable service, but I guess there
are just not that many people into their own scenery
building, ;=(( It is quite an undertaking...

And many that do sometimes use other data sources... with
more detail... especially since the 'swirlies' rendering
bug appears FIXED with the new BTG versions...

But this could/should change as 'easier' TG tool building
methods get around, and more is done on GUI scenery
building tools... must find the time to continue my
efforts in this regard ;=))

Everybody, and their dog, at least 'speak' frequently
about the 850 apt data, with its curved taxiways...

HTH.

Regards,
Geoff.