Hi Martin,

Re: CLC2000v13

> CLC is CORINE Land Cover, a project of the EEA, the European
> Environmental Agency and therefore covers Europe only.  I have
> to admit that the error message is a bit misleading and will
> try to imagine a more appropriate report.

Yes, the page already clearly says "use reasonable coordinates in
order to avoid nasty error messages.", and a 404 error is certainly
quite nasty ;=)) as well as misleading...

Maybe you could add to the web page - "Do not be stupid enough to
request say the area around YGIL in say the CLC2000v13 (CORINE)
dataset!"...

And hopefully politely give an error like - "coordinates used are
out of dataset range, Dummy!"

I tried this again with a 4x4 around LFPZ N 50 S 46 W 0 E 4, and
got an 82MB zip, which expanded to 106MB, 128 files, 32 shapefiles,
and all looks fine... thanks...

Re: OpenStreetMap

>> ... BUT contains just one file, COPYING???
> Mmmmh, I have to admit this sounds like a bug. I'll check.
> Might/should be working now, at least my own test was successful,

Ok, tried my YGIL again, N -29 S -33 W 146 E 150, and while the
1.4MB zip again still included the COPYING file, also got 16 osm_????
shapefiles, total 65 files... so this looks good...

So all appears good on the web page downloading ;=))

As stated, have yet to got around to testing 'programmed'
downloading, but will soonest... and yell if there is a
problem...

A little off topic, but what application can I use to
'view' shapefiles in Ubuntu? Any simple suggestions?

I would like a simple say -
$ viewshape osm_runway [osm_taxiway ...]
and it chooses a scale, and draws the lines...

The TG tool shpdump does a nice job of showing all the
coordinates, but it is not 'graphical'...

I have explored a few like 'ArcGIS Explorer', and some others
I found, even tried GMT, with 140 odd tools, but this
seems another steep learning curve ;=(( and found some windows
only 'Shape Viewers'...

Anyone with some 'simple' suggestions for unix?

Regards,
Geoff.