Hi Thorsten,

I think that is what we have for now.  You can do better by increasing your
shadow map size to 8192 or 16384, but at the 16384 resolution my
performance goes into the tank, and at 8192, there are still many shadow
artifacts due to lack of resolution.  (clearly blocky/xelated/aliasing
edges, something that looks like z-buffer fighting for objects further way,
etc.)  Hopefully this will improve with future tuning.  I'd love to be able
to overfly the SFO terminal at 1000' for instance and have solid shadows on
the AI aircraft, solid shadows on the light poles, solid shadows from the
terminal building, etc.  I'm hoping that will ultimately be possible.
 Otherwise, just getting one good clear shadow of our own aircraft onto the
ground and onto ourselves would be a good 90% solution.

Curt.

On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 7:52 AM, Renk Thorsten <thorsten.i.r...@jyu.fi>wrote:

> > Try --prop:/sim/rendering/no-16bit-buffer=true
> >
> > although the symptoms were a bit different
>
> Same here, this sort of works up to the 4096 map size. I do see shadows
> and lights at night at KSFO, but the shadows are very... restless - they
> seem to flicker quite a bit, and all in all the light I get to see depends
> very much on the view angle - is that normal? The grainy shadow edge seems
> to be a function of the map size, it gets a lot worse when I go to 1024...
>
> Thanks for the fix in any case!
>
> Cheers,
>
> * Thorsten

Curtis Olson: