> If it looks right in one limited test case, doesn't mean it's right, or
> the proper way to deal with it (so it won't backfire later on)

Look, basic ray optics says that the error in ray propagation I make by
neglecting the curvature is linear proportional to the error in normal angle
which I make by neglecting curvature. So in order to estimate the error in
reflection, I need to estimate the error in normal angle.

If I go a distance d, the normal angle changes by arctan (d/R) where R is the
radius of earth. For any rendering distance we can achieve d/R is a very small
number O(100km / 6000km) ~ 0.016. For small arguments, I can expand arctan(x) ~
x, so the angle changes by 0.016 or 0.9 degrees at the edge of the visibility.
In the region where we actually see details of wave patterns and reflection,
the error is a factor 10 less.

However, on top of the normal I add wave noise, and the distortion of the
normal by a wave can easily be 30-45 degrees. Compare this with 0.1 degrees
error in the near range due to neglected curvature and you will come to the
conclusion that any halfway realistic wave pattern easily masks any curvature
errors I could possibly make with really high accuracy.

This is mathematics. Not a limited test case.

Plus, if you neglect the curvature effect in every relevant vector, the
rendering artefacts at the tile boundaries must go away, because the
differences in rendering geometry between tiles go away, and they're the only
thing which can introduce the artefacts in the first place.

There's simply no point in trying to solve a problem exactly if you can show by
error analysis that a Taylor approximation gets you the desired result much
faster and cheaper. Trust an old physicist on that point... :-)

* Thorsten