On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 11:26 PM, Stuart Buchanan wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 9:04 AM, Martin Spott wrote:
>> tong hui wrote:
>>
>>> I have compiled it successfully !
>>
>> That's great.  If I were you, I'd ping Stuart Buchanan to set our
>> source repo up in a way so you can maintain the Chinese translation
>> alongside with the English source (and other translations).
>
> I've had a quick look, and unfortunately our current approach of using
> the babel package and conditional lanuguage statements  doesn't look
>  like it will work as babel doesn't support Chinese characters.
>
> That's a shame, as the current scheme works well for the existing
> languages and allows contributors to translate The Manual piece by
> piece, leaving the remainder in English.
>
> I'll take a more detailed look over the next week and see what I can come
> up with.

Well, it took more like a month rather than a week, but I've managed
to hack at least the ability to define a Chinese version of The
Manual.

There is now a getstart-zh.tex file which is used to generate this
version, and an example in title.tex of how this should be used.

The correct fix is to add some sort of Chinese character support to
the babel package, but that's way beyond my abilities.

-Stuart