On Wed, 12 Dec 2012 23:03:45 -0000, Vivian wrote in message
<001201cdd8bc$f5eb6b30$e1c24190$@lineone.net>:

> Don't we need radar altitude for buildings  etc. for radar
> altimeters, but probably not trees?

..at some stage, tree canopies will be dense enough to mask
the ground, or give "double reflections", or some such.

> A radar altimeter needs to sample both the terrain and "hard" objects
> on it.

..tree canopies dense enough to mask the ground, are probably
hard enough to make radar vendors scare their clients from
touching or ignoring them.

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: