Thorsten aka Renk wrote:

> [...]

We had at one point several Thorstens/Torstens - I suppose Renk was just
easier. And if you start your postings Renk Thorsten people will assume Renk
is your first name.

> That's a question of what a fair comparison is.
>
> I'm going to assume that whoever put a demo version from FSX together has
> specifically chosen scenery and airplanes in the demo to impress users. So
> my standard of comparison is not 'How does the same airplane or the same
> scenery in FG look like' because I regard that as unfair - they got to
chose, we
> didn't. My standard of comparison would be - if I were to put together a
FG
> demo to impress users, how would that compare?
>
> You are certainly right with the c172, but the fair comparison is e.g. our
DR-
> 400 against the FSX C-172, and FG is going to win that one.
>
> It doesn't matter so much that many aircraft in FG can not measure up to
that
> standard - I don't usually fly them. We have 20-30 really high quality
aircraft,
> and I doubt FSX has that many out of the box. If you count addons, we can
> field all the non-GPL hangars in return, where I believe T4T is doing some
> really impressive warbirds...
>
> If you're going into comparing 'the same' (scenery, aircraft,...) than my
next
> question would be - FG has beautiful scenery in central Iran with the
Middle-
> East texturing definitions. I doubt FSX out of the box has any scenery
there at
> all. So we're winning flat out in many cases by virtue of having scenery
> everywhere. It doesn't make too much sense to me to go into that
direction.

> > One thing I'd really like to see put together is a "The Hidden Secrets
> > of FlightGear" page that illustrates all the little bits that people
> > aren't necessarily aware of.  Things like the hard science behind a
> > lot of the things FG tries to get right that "other" simulation
> > software completely ignores or fakes poorly.
>
> We've sort of started this here
>
> http://wiki.flightgear.org/Unique_Features
>
> My problem is that I often know very well how X is implemented in FG, I
may
> suspect that it's not in FSX or X-Plane, but since I'm not running X-Plane
or
> FSX with all addons I don't really know for a fact if it is a genuinely
unique
> feature or if there is a 3rd party addon to FSX/X-Plane which provides the
> same thing. And we would want to be factually correct here.
>
> > While we wait for the FSX screenshot, I'd like to see the FSX
> > equivalents of  these as well:
>
> Honestly, I have no clue how to make a screenshot in FSX... and I don't
want
> to fiddle around with it much longer, suffice to say it gave me some ideas
> how the GUI could be, but it doesn't draw me in in any way. And you'll not
> going to find me argue that the Vinson doesn't measure up. It's a
spectacular
> model, and I do love doing carrier ops in FG.

That's really good to hear  - but if we are falling behind in some respect
then we will make an effort to improve. I am reminded that the flag and wake
shaders are inoperative when Atmospheric Light Scattering is activated. With
the departure of Emilian, I see no prospect of this being fixed unless
someone else steps up to the plate.

I recently saw a short video of FSX with moving cars and trucks populating
the roads. We can do that up to a point, and trains as well, and I forgot to
mention that we can also texture tracks and roads properly:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/57645542/javelin-hst.png

We can only have a few - around 50 if we are to keep framerate within
bounds. If we ever get the Kent scenery fixed up well enough for release
I'll include this around Manston/EGMH.

Vivian