Hi Vivian,

2013/5/7 Vivian Meazza <vivian.mea...@lineone.net>:
> Thanks, interesting. As a non-Blender user (it makes my brain hurt) the
> references are a bit obscure.

If you get used to Blender its a really powerful tool (I have problems
if trying to work with other modelling programs :P) and with using the
right scripts it gets a very neat tool for creating models for
FlightGear. For example for a gear scissor just add an armature with
two bones, add an IK constraint to the second bone and attach an
element of the scissor to each bone, and you are done. You can watch
the animation in Blender and using an exporter script now it is
possible to watch exactly the same animation inside FlightGear. You
don't need to guess any coordinates/axes/etc. and if you modify and
object you just have to export it again, without manually modifying
the animation xml.

> Are the various axes always orthogonal?

There are (currently) only two axes required. The lock-axis and the
track-axis. They should be orthogonal, as the rotation is only
possible round the lock-axis. Internally the track-axis is always
orthonormalized to the lock-axis, as calculations always are performed
in the plane normal to the lock-axis.

> Can they also be specified in the alternate form:
>
>                 <axis>
>                         <x1-m>5.1821</x1-m>
>                         <y1-m>0.221496</y1-m>
>                         <z1-m>0.794147</z1-m>
>                         <x2-m>4.99208</x2-m>
>                         <y2-m>0.114133</y2-m>
>                         <z2-m>0.842884</z2-m>
>                 </axis>

Currently the alternate form is not possible. The problem is that we
have two axes crossing at the same center, so which of the axes should
specify the center? Also the center/axis form clearly states where the
center is located, which is not the case with the alternate form (the
center is located halfway between the two given points). For the
rotate animation the exact location of the center along the axis is
not relevant, but for the tracking animation it is.
Also as one would probably not create the xml by hand, using multiple
notations would not gain us anything.

> If non-orthogonal  axes are allowed they are difficult in the
> <center>/<axis> form in the example in the wiki.
>
> Perhaps, when you have time, the information could be consolidated in
>
> http://wiki.flightgear.org/Howto:Animate_models and
> fgdata/Docs/model-howto.html

I will do if timer permits :) Yesterday I have added some images. I
don't know if you have already seen them.

> Looks like valuable work to me: gear scissor links were very difficult with
> the existing animations.

That was the initial reason for creating it. But now it is also useful
for creating complex kinematic systems as can be found for landing
gears and their doors.

Tom