Hi Jack,

Here's something to try (and if it is helpful, please let us know).

Under "Main Menu" -> "View" -> "Rendering Options" there is a "Shader
Effects" section.  Likely "Material Shaders" will be checked, but none of
the individual items will be turned on.  Try unchecking "Shader Effects".
 On an imac here that got me back to smooth frame rates again.

I think there was some discussion of this on the forum along with a command
line option that will set this to off automatically on startup.

Regards,

Curt.

On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 5:12 PM, Jack Moore <jhmoore...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I downloaded and installed FlightGear v 2.4 for MacOS last night. I
> installed it on top of FlightGear v 2.0. When I opened fg at KSFO with the
> default Cessna 172, the skin of the aircraft was flashing and had weird
> patterns that kept changing.  Redrawing of the window became very sluggish,
> about one frame every 2 seconds.
>
> I thought that installing over v 2.0 may have been an issue, so I moved
> flightgear from Applications to trash, emptied trash, opened a terminal,
> removed ~/.fgfs and reinstalled v 2.4.  The problem persisted.
>
> I removed v 2.4 as above and reinstalled v 2.0.  v 2.0 appears to work as
> expected.
>
> Is this a known problem?  If so is it something that will be fixed in a
> later version?
>
> Jack

Curtis Olson:
http://www.atiak.com - http://aem.umn.edu/~uav/