Thanks, Curt,

I tried your recommendation.  The flashing airplane skin went away.  The
perceived frame rate improved from less then one frame per second to about
three frames per second to a frame rate of better than three frames per second.
 The performance is still better using v 2.0.0.r284.  The scenery looks better
with that version, too.

Jack