> Ok, that's a good start.  Since I don't know much about mac stuff I'll
> see if I can't find documentation for quickdraw to better figure out
> the appropriate modern functions.

A volunteer is worth many pressed men...

> And first get my terminology
> straight... quickdraw is ancient and gone, cocoa is current but obj c,
> and carbon is the C interface and is current and not deprecated,
> right?  Or is it?  I can't imagine the *C interface* being
> deprecated...

Not quite.
Carbon is the old "transitional" C interface they used to move over from
OS9 to OSX (actually, Carbon may even predate that, I can't remember
that far back...) and is now deprecated.

We need to move to Quartz, I think.

The port that Matt did originally was Carbon and Quickdraw, but the QD
parts were deprecated so there was work to move to Quartz, but lots of
bits of QD and Carbon were left behind. It's those leftovers that are
the problem here...

FWIW: fltk-1.1 defaults to the old QD mechanisms when built, fltk-1.3
defaults to (mostly, but not enough!) Quartz.
Both still have the "alternate" code in them however, and you can select
either option at configure.

Don't know what fltk-2 does. Suspect it is still QD actually... Can't
remember when it forked off the 1.x line. It may have some relevant
fixes though... Don't know.

> And then wrt development... I know there is some documentation but I
> couldn't find any on either the documentation or faqs pages.  "Faqs"
> is all cluttered up with announcements, maybe it's buried in there
> somewhere.  Anyway, what's the current version for development?  1.3
> nightly?  Is there a repo to check out, or do I just download the
> nightly snapshot and manually send patches of that?

Best just use the svn repo: see the bottom of page
http://www.fltk.org/software.php

And in particular:

The FLTK 1.3 source can be checked out using the following command:

    svn co http://svn.easysw.com/public/fltk/fltk/branches/branch-1.3/
fltk-1.3

SELEX Sensors and Airborne Systems Limited
Registered Office: Sigma House, Christopher Martin Road, Basildon, Essex SS14
3EL
A company registered in England & Wales.  Company no. 02426132