In what follows, bear in mind that I do not have SL, yet...!

>       I build my commercial and open source universal binaries for mac
>       on gcc 4.0.1 (build 5250) with 10.4.11 (Tiger), and those run
>       fine on Snow Leopard.. I've encountered no problems.

OK - I assume we need to try the 10.4u-SDK to build on SL and see how
that goes, too...

> Old "PPC" binaries no longer run under snow leopard
>       I get an error running binaries I'd built long ago
>       that are PPC only  (ie. *not* a universal binaries):
>
> To open <YourOldPPCApp>, you need to install Rosetta.
> Would you like to install it now?

OK - I had heard this, although I was told that Rosetta wasn't even on
the DVD, the pop-up actually fetches it from the interwebs if you say
yes.
This might just have been with the seeds though, so YMMV.

> Don't use Rez on Snow Leopard
> -----------------------------
>
>       For the same reason as above (Rosetta not installed by default),
>       /usr/bin/Rez fails with the error:
>
> You need the Rosetta software to run Rez. The Rosetta installer is in
> Optional Installs on your Mac OS X installation disc.
>
>       We all used to use Rez to restore data/resource forks on
>       the executables that the compiler put there, eg. when copying
>       files around with cp or tar. (otherwise you'd get that weird
>       behavior where FLTK windows appear 'behind' other windows
>       and don't react to many input events)
>
>       These days it seems one does not have to do this if you've
>       packaged your .app dir correctly, so you really want to
>       avoid Rez and data/resource forks now, as I think we've known
>       for a while this was coming.
>
>       It's cool that OSX goes out of its way to make such errors
>       clear. If this were Windows, it'd throw some meaningless error
>       number at you.. like "C Runtime Error R6034" ;)

There might be more to it than this - I have it on good authority that
for their new "compressed" HFS file system, what now happens is that the
"file" itself becomes just a stub, and the whole, compressed, file data
actually is stored in the resource fork...

However, the Finder, and even cp, ls, etc., have all been enhanced to
cope with this, and cp doesn't drop the rez fork anymore on copies
either...

But yeah, I think we probably got to stop Rezzing our apps on SL,
then...

This is OK for fltk-1.3 I think, since it has been adjusted to make a
bundle.app, but I guess fltk-1.1 and fltk-2 are broken then.

SELEX Sensors and Airborne Systems Limited
Registered Office: Sigma House, Christopher Martin Road, Basildon, Essex SS14
3EL
A company registered in England & Wales.  Company no. 02426132