> I don't know how "community devpaks" servers are organized, but I see
> that:

Nor do we...

> 1. the 1.1.9 package was done by www.bibosoft.de  Do you recognize
> this webiste?  Some active contributor to FLTK?

Don't know - maybe that was Dejan's stuff? (Though that's a guess.) He's not
around much these days, worked and all that...

> In computer science, we are always taught "not to reinvent the wheel",
> ie not to waste time and effort to do basic things which are already
> done (at least it's supposed to be done by contributions by others) --
> instead we'd better use our time on advanced things.

Indeed, you are absolutely correct here, but have perhaps grasped the wrong end
of the stick - and therein lies the problem; we already have packaging
mechanisms that work flawlessly, yet the IDE people all seem to think they need
to invent some new, incompatible, mechanism. Which then is never adequately
supported and causes fragmentation. (Though note that some tools do know how to
work with tarballs directly, so I have to assume that the Dev-C++ folk decided
on purpose to do something else... What did they hope to achieve? I do not
know.)

The only "correct" way to install fltk is from the tarballs, which work
everywhere. All other package formats are a resource sapping distraction.

> I consider myself as most of "simple" users in the sense that I don't
> want to spend a lot of time in basic things before I could do the real
> job.  If I can't get to the main target after spending quite a lot of
> time working around obstacles, I'd just forget about it and look at
> something else, even though that "something else" might be considered
> as "inferior" as people, but at least it works.  We, simple users, are
> pragmatic!

Um, how hard is it to install fltk? If you are going to construct any piece of
software that is non-trivial, then unpacking the fltk tarballs is well within
your abilities, however "simple" you may perceive your own abilities to be.

Open a terminal (not that tricky)
Unpack the tarball  (tar -jxf fltk-whatever.bz2)
Change in to the package folder (cd fltk-whatever)
Build fltk (make)

Job done. Now all you need to do is set the include and lib paths in your IDE
(which you already know how to do) so that they point at the fltk-whatever
folder, and the job's a good 'un...

Where's the hard part? This process is identical to almost every other lib I've
ever used, and is well known, and if not known is a directly pertinent thing to
learn, so... I'm at a loss to understand why...

Also, note that if you are using Dev-C++ on Windows, then under the covers you
are using the mingw toolchain - which comes with the Msys terminal shell; from
within that shell, using mingw on Windows is "identical" to using gcc on Linux,
for most practical purposes, so things learned on one host system then become
directly relevant on the others; surely that is a useful and advantageous
position from which to develop your code?
IDE's of any sort (all of them) are essentially a form of walled garden and
constrain your use to the workflow and targets they envisage - in the end, that
is not an advantage...

SELEX Galileo Ltd
Registered Office: Sigma House, Christopher Martin Road, Basildon, Essex SS14
3EL
A company registered in England & Wales.  Company no. 02426132