On 23.04.2012, at 16:07, STF wrote:

> I don't know which "end" you're referring to, but my starting point is
> that of someone living in the 21st century, not someone back in the
> 80's!  And my viewpoint is linked to IDE which is the way to go to
> make professional stuff.
>
> It's like cooking.  What you've suggested to do is like:
> 1. go to kill the cow and cut off the meat we want
> 2. get the pepper seeds from the tree and grind them to powder
> 3. collect some sunflower seeds and make the oil
> (there are also salt and other ingredients, but it's just an example
> and it's already long enough)
> before doing the real cooking!  Note that I'm 100% capable of doing
> all these three basic tasks.   Are they "hard"?  As you say, it's
> matter of perception but they are not hard for my standard.

You are expecting that we deliver a pre-heated meal for you right onto your
dining room table. I am sorry, but we just can't do that. We are neither Nokia
nor Microsoft. We are a handful of enthusiasts who maintain and expand this
library as good as we can. We deliver it to you in the most common form in
which most libraries these days are delivered as a "lowest common denominator".

We support three platforms, endless sub-platforms, five IDEs, four CPUs, seven
compilers in the last three versions each. We have put a lot of effort into
creating an automated build system including now continuous integration.

Trust me, we do everything in our power to deliver a software that runs
anywhere with minimal effort. But there is just no way to support every IDE out
there, and, even worse, maintain our code through each release of those IDEs.

And we do all that for free.

The up side is, FLTK is open source, and we always need contributors. I suggest
that you write an IDE wrapper for Dev-C++ and maintain it for a few years. When
everything works flawlessly for a while, I will happily add your contribution
to the repository for everyone's gain.

 - Matthias

PS: maybe unrelated: we know that FLTK is used at some schools to teach C++. We
are sometimes asked to solve students' homework. We don't.