> That's what Fl::check() is for. It keeps the UI responsive, but
> doesn't wait for events - it only processes events that have
> already been queued. You should call it every 0.1 sec. or so,
> and then everything will be responsive.

I was aware that the window my not redraw, but I can't really call it because
it will be on things like device access using lower level routines that don't
know anything about any UI and the device to respond may take awhile.  I know I
could thread, but it's all (deivce access/other things) intermixed with UI
stuff.  If I could do the GUI in another thread for the pop up window only
similar to what is done commonly in Windows, that may be acceptable, but you
can't do FLTK stuff in another thread or X IO error.