> BTW, I am hoping to write music applications.

Music applications? You mean like Finale and Sibelius? Or something else?

> Does fltk have any music fonts or libraries
> dealing with music notation?

No, fltk does not have helper libs for, well, anything really; the L in fltk
means (allegedly!) "Light", which means not carrying around libs that are not
core...

It is a pretty low-level. You can do all these things, you might have to do a
little more work yourself, or integrate some 3rd-party libs to help, for any
functions you need.
But the fltk is not going to "hold your hand" much as you go beyond the core
functions!

Now, assuming you are talking about something like Sibelius, then I'd start by
cautioning that may be better looking at some of the options already in that
space; Musescore, Rosegarden, Lilypond, etc...

Now, (disclosure time) I actually did write a music score app, for a charity
here that uses music therapy in their work with children and disabled adults,
and they wanted their own proprietary music scoring tool. (It is proprietary,
so the source is not available.) Scoring music is trickier than it looks...

Aside: If you consider writing software as a journey, then if the *destination*
is more important to you than the journey itself, I'd strongly advocate getting
involved in Musescore and see if you can turn that to your needs. It's a good
bit of work, and quite flexible, and they have a usable plug-in system for
custom behaviours.

If the *journey* itself is what you are interested in then, yes, go for it and
write your own. It'll be fun (for certain interpretations of the word "fun" at
any rate!)

As regards fonts, I'm currently using Musica (version 3.06 IIRC) and I quite
like it; though there are quite a lot of free music fonts around.

The free fonts have the advantage that they tend to implement the Unicode code
points for the music glyphs, and also often implement support for non-Western
and historical symbols.

The fonts that Sibelius use (and I think Finale) have their glyphs in weird,
non-Unicode places, which is a real pain to work with...

Indeed, in most cases you don't even have to install the font (in OSX you just
put it in the app bundle, in Windows you use AddFontResourceEx(), and under
Linux you can do, well, several options actually!)