> On 4 Mar 2013, at 18:32, Greg Ercolano wrote:
>
> >     Ya, technically I'd agree it's best to use a font..
> >=20
> >     Though from a practical point of view, I've found over time
> >     anything you can do to minimize modification of the OS to use
> >     an app is often worth doing, even if it's at the expense of =
> doing
> >     what seems right design-wise.
>
> If there's a suitable "music" font installed then it all Just Works =
> anyway.
> The only issue is if you want to distribute a font in your app, rather =
> than installing it - then you get into platform-specific stuff to load =
> the fonts at runtime... Which is a nuisance.
> The Win32 is possibly the least hassle as it turns out!
>
> Anyway, I tried my code under OSX and linux and it does work - but then =
> I have the Musica font installed on those test machines, so that's =
> hardly representative.
>

> >=20
> >     I'd probably do the same trick for drawing the notes; looking =
> closely
> >     at the 'dots' at the bottom of notes in sheet music, they aren't
> >     just an ellipse, but are tweaked on the diagonal too. Tough to =
> do
> >     with FLTK's simple circle functions (though probably easy with
> >     svg vector images or cairo).
>
> Yup - svg would be nice, or Cairo.
> But picking the note heads out of the font works nicely too, so...
>

> >>=20
> >> And I was rushing anyway...!
> >=20
> >     Great job on making a nice full on app with a 'game' twist to =
> it.
>
> Thanks! The game aspect wasn't me though, that was just copying what I =
> *think* Edgar said he was doing...
That was exactly what I envisioned. Spot on!

> >=20
> >     I 'played' it for a while until I was quite sure the =
> "EGBDCF"/"FACE"
> >     memory trick I learned back in Mrs. Bruninghaus's third grade =
> music class
> >     was still serving me well..!
>
> See - these things do stay with you!
>
> Yes! Kudos on a nice program. And thanks for the updated version.
I actually wiped windows off of my home machine  - just running a single boot
of Ubuntu  I but have access to Win7 and OSX at work and can install Msys at
work to run your update.  We had a snow day today so I will have to check it
out tomorrow.
Thanks again.