Sent: Friday, April 21, 2006 11:28 AM
Subject: Re: FLUXLIST: Book 2 - #100 - 9/24/2004 11:07 AM

Returning to Cecil...

The physical dependance drives me cRaZy - mostly with music -
my mind telling me that there's more than enuf sound on the web and the non-physical elsewhere to keep my fascinations ringing for the eternities after the honeymoon, but as stuff goes out the back door in almost trapezoid strictness, the squall-fed label profiteers paratroop onto my front lawn and queue up at the front, BUT, it soon becomes "0"s and "1"s - same with words, documents, and bits of detritus found in the garden (like this old "Pop Rocks" wrapper - both sides):

They become jumping off points for higher elements of creative work,
but not necessarily in physical form.

So, the question really becomes: To you, how important is the physicality of artwork - that you need to have it around you? It seems to me that these large scale works can't really be turned into "0"s and "1"s (except thru documentation, I suppose).

Do those of you who create physical artworks on a larger scale
(canvas, sculpture) have the problem of having too much creat(ed/ive) work. around the studio? Yes, of course, you want to sell stuff, but what of the stuff that you can't sell? Is there a "past-it's-sell-by-date" at some time where it's documented then discarded?

Rod

---
Now playing:  Agitation Free - Sahara City