From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Kathy Forer
Sent: Saturday, April 22, 2006 12:35 PM
To: FLUXLIST@scribble.com
Subject: Re: FLUXLIST: Physical stuff

On Apr 22, 2006, at 8:02 AM, Melissa McCarthy wrote:

> Has anyone on the list ever done anything wildly destructive and/or
> cathartic with old work, then used the remains to create something
> new? (I'm thinking of an art bonfire in a metal trashcan in my own
> case, an idea I've toyed with for a while, and this may be the
> year....)

When I was of a certain age, too young to mention, I had my first boy-
girl party (that young) and when no one was paying enough attention
to me I irrationally went over to fireplace and oh so casually lent
elbow against mantel and swept away my younger precious work. At
least two lions modeled after the Public Library lions -- my poor
memory doesn't clue me in to what else -- were lost.

The scary thing is I think it was pre-meditated. I recall practicing
sweeping my elbow against the mantel. It was some kind of hail mary
commitment to my own private world.

Instant regret and it obviously did nothing but embarrass me. I spent
the night contemplating sitting on our thirteenth floor ledge but was
scared. I thought if I could sit there, legs hanging down, I'd show
myself how brave I was. So I sat on the radiator inside with legs out
the open window, inching out until it seemed ridiculous.

I've ruined work by working on it too much, taking it where it in
contradictory nullifying directions. I've also neglected the stuff,
which is tantamount to destroying it slowly. I've also been
preemptive and recycled some long-worked clay too soon. I keep every
scrap now and someone will have to cope with it when I'm gone.
Luckily there's a creek nearby, for now, and it would make good
landfill.

My teacher spoke of how he once threw his early work out over a
bridge. It was inspirational, perhaps I'll start with a few known duds.

Some ceramic artists recycle work into mosaic. Taking a hammer to
work is a badge of honor, of cool-headed appraisal and judgment, good
choices and priorities. Not very fluxus.