I checked the article but I still have some questions:
1. The article creates a repeating field based on the statement, "GET(CalculationRepetitionNumber)" I don't see a "GET()" function in my version of Filemaker which is Pro 5.0

2. What is the variable, "CalculationRepetitionNumber"? Is this a script or another field?

3. When the amount is placed in the repeating field, does it get accumulated (i.e., added) to a running total or does it replace the previous value?

4. My situation is more complex than simply converting month to an index number. I have 13 different product types so I created another field based on a case statement e.g.:
ProductCode=
CASE(Product Name="42399",1, Product Name="52233",2, etc)
This converts the Product Name to a numerical index. How would I use this field in the definition of the repeating field? Does the following definition of the repeating field make sense?
ProductRepeatField=
CASE(ProductCode, Qty)
where Qty is the amount field in the current record being read from the input table.


----- Original Message ----- From: "Mikhail Edoshin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Friday, July 13, 2007 10:51 AM
Subject: Re: Cross tabs possible?


On Jul 13, 2007, at 6:15 PM, Nicholas Geti wrote:

I need to create what I think can be called a cross-tab report. I have a file of records; one column is product type. I need to display a count of each product type as a column in a report. There are thirteen possible types.

Is there a way to use SQL selects to count the types or do I have to use brute force and create a table of thirteen columns then scan the original table?

You can do this using repeating fields. The idea is that you create a calculated repeating field with 13 repetitions, use the product type to evaluate the corresponding repetition to 1 or 0 and them summarize the repetitions individually.

Check the following link for a sample:

  http://edoshin.skeletonkey.com/2006/12/crosstab_report.html

Hope this helps,
--
Mikhail Edoshin
Information Analyst
Skeleton Key

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to