Richard,

Let's see what we've got:
- OS X 10.4.11
- FileMaker Pro 9.0.3 (or Advanced)
- typing in a FileMaker field creates ligatures?

There is still more to check:
in OS X System preferences:
- What system language ()?
- what input method(s) activated in Keyboard menu tab (all should be Off)?

in FileMaker:
- what language?
- what default font in Preferences -> Fonts (Roman + ??)?
- what Font options? (sync input method should be Off, Font locking should be On)
- what FONT has the field?


Winfried
www.fmdiff.com




On 23.04.2008, at 22:46, Richard S. Russell wrote:


On 2008 Apr 22, at 20:43, Winfried Huslik wrote:

Richard,

FMP stores what it gets, it does not "make" ligatures, they come from the outside.

What is the source of your text?
How does it get into FMP?

I bet "fi" and "fl" are ligatures before they get in FMP.


Nope. I type "f", followed by "i", and I get the "fi" ligature. Same with "f" followed by "l". And I can't manually force them to revert to separate characters.

It's kind of bizarre in a monospaced font to type a word with a ligature in it, then see the flashing insertion point sitting out there 1 space farther to the right of the last typed character than it should be. Also makes it challenging to find the right place to click when I want to edit text to the right of a ligature on a line.

That's why I'm still interested in any tips anyone has about how to turn this feature off system wide. It seems to be a problem specific to Macs, and maybe even to Mac OS 10.4, since I haven't heard of anyone else complaining about it.

Reply via email to