On 2008 Apr 24, at 21:05, Winfried Huslik wrote:

Richard,

I cannot confirm this behavior here in a G5 iMac and a G5 ppc.
Have you tried this on a different machine?

No, but I'll have a chance to do so next week and will let you know how it turns out.

What history do these fonts have? I mean have you upgraded the system over the time from 10.0 or even from OS 9? Have you done a clean system install sometime?

Couldn't say for sure. When I got this laptop (PowerBook G4), I took my old desktop computer into the store which sold me the new one, and they transferred all my old files over for me. But *I* haven't done a clean system install at any time.

I just keep installing the new versions of Mac OS as they come out. I do nothing special about the fonts.

Using a different language at some time may create more than one set of fonts, which will cause problems at some time.

All I ever use is English.

The ligatures "fi" and "fl" come from the Roman font script system. These are (if they are) usually triggered only at the beginning of a word. The other ligatures you tried only exist in the unicode system (utf-8, utf-16). So it is clear it is a system function and FileMaker has nothing to do with it.

OK, well, that kind of confirms the conclusion I'd been arriving at independently. Sorry to take up time on a forum dedicated to FMP for a problem that appears to be specific to the Mac OS. My only weak excuse is that maybe other list citizens will have the same problem and can profit from its resolution (if any).

I suggest to open the FontBook.app and check your fonts. Those who have duplicates carry a dot.

Check for Monaco and Courier and remove any duplicates first to the desktop and then start FileMaker again to see whether this helps. (You can only show the location for one of the duplicates at a time - likely the used one first.)

If there should be no duplicates, remove both fonts and replace them from your installer disk.


As you suggested, I opened FontBook and selected "Courier". I then used the Action (gear) button to issue the command "Show Font Files". 2 windows opened up: • Hard Disk > Library > Fonts, in which was the FFIL "Courier [no extension]", Version 3.5, 2000, Mac OS 9.2.2 • Hard Disk > System > Library > Fonts, in which was the dfont "Courier.dfont", Version 5.1d1e1, no date

I am puzzled as to how the computer in general and FileMaker Pro in particular know which of these dueling font files to use. My guess is that they're probably going for the wrong one. Any further advice before I spend time experimenting?

Reply via email to