On Thu, Dec 19, 2002 at 02:34:15PM -0800, Brian Hatch wrote:
> To have no shell, you'd want
> or something similar.  Many folks use '/bin/false' for
> example.

I'm wondering why I would want that - until now nobody could give me a
good argument although everybody learns to remove the shells :-(

* If I give my users a disabled password, they cannot¹ login via passwd
  based ssh/ftp/pop3 etc.

* But, on the other hand, I can have a
        su news -c /usr/local/script_running_as_user_news.sh

Any hints?

bye,

-christian-

¹: Yes, except for the rare cases when the PAM developers release a
   buggy version that interprets '*' as no password instead of no
   login..