On 22:52 20 Dec 2002, Christian Hammers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
| On Thu, Dec 19, 2002 at 02:34:15PM -0800, Brian Hatch wrote:
| > To have no shell, you'd want
| > or something similar.  Many folks use '/bin/false' for
| > example.
|
| I'm wondering why I would want that - until now nobody could give me a
| good argument although everybody learns to remove the shells :-(
|
| * If I give my users a disabled password, they cannot? login via passwd
|   based ssh/ftp/pop3 etc.
|
| * But, on the other hand, I can have a
|       su news -c /usr/local/script_running_as_user_news.sh

Every user with a shell is a user under which "stuff" can be done.
For example, is a cracker exploits, say, your innd (if you're running
a local news server, as "news"), then they could do stuff like make a
crontab (needs a login shell), etc. Many facilities (eg ftp) outright
refuse access to users without shells in the /etc/shells file, thus
closing the door somewhat.

Basicly it reduces the usefulness of those ids to nasty purposes in a
variety of ways.
--
Cameron Simpson, DoD#743        [EMAIL PROTECTED]    http://www.zip.com.au/~cs/

The most frightening thing about the American judicial system is the
possibility of having one's fate decided by twelve people too stupid to
evade jury duty...