Sandy,

Unfortunately it is in Bulgarian only, but I will ask my
colleague Stephan to make a short summary in English and post it. Of
course, it is very far from what we learn about Sweden.

Best,

Sasho

На 2012-12-13 18:07, Sandra Coliver написа:

> Sasho -
>
> Is there
a case in which a court gave its opinion that the tax info exemption is
subject to the public interest override? If yes, could you send us a
link?

> Thanks much, and best,
>
> Sandy
>
> FROM:
foianet-boun...@lists.foiadvocates.info
[mailto:foianet-boun...@lists.foiadvocates.info] ON BEHALF OF Alexander
Kashumov
> SENT: Thursday, December 13, 2012 10:58 AM
> TO: Toby Mendel;
Zahid Abdullah
> CC: FOI Advocates
> SUBJECT: Re: [foianet]
Parliamentarians Tax Data

> I agree with the approach of Toby.

Basically according to the EU Data Protection Directive (95/46/EC) taz
information falls under the definition of personal data as seen from the
following:

> Article 2
>
> Definitions
>
> For the purposes of
this Directive:

> (a) 'personal data' shall mean any information
relating to an identified or identifiable natural person ('data
subject'); an identifiable person is one who can be identified, directly
or indirectly, in particular by reference to an identification number or
to one or more factors specific to his physical, physiological, mental,
ECONOMIC, cultural or social identity;

> This information refers to
the persons' economic identity. This is valid only for physical persons
(unless national personal data protection legislation expands to legal
persons as well). The directive is a legal instrument which bounds
member contries to adopt national laws, roughly speaking,

Overcoming this protection is possible in cases of public interest. I
don't know however in how many national systems there is developed
practice on such cases. Two years ago Bulgarian courts accepted that tax
information exemption is not absolute and is subject to the overriding
public interests test, but did not specify any cases.

> Sasho

Alexander Kashumov, attorney-at-law
> Head of Legal Team
> Access to
Information Programme
> 76 Vassil Levski Blvd. Apt.3
> 1142 Sofia,
Bulgaria
> + 3592 9885062; 9867709
> E-mail: kashu...@aip-bg.org [28]

TO:Zahid Abdullah [10]

>> CC:FOI Advocates [11]
>>
>> SENT:
Thursday, December 13, 2012 4:28 PM

>> SUBJECT: Re: [foianet]
Parliamentarians Tax Data

>> That you have to decide yourself :)

>> My view is that tax information is clearly private (in Canada,
this can include medical expenditures, sports expenditures, etc.) so you
would need a public interest argument to overcome it and that would
probably have to be limited to certain cases or classes of people (as
with officials or senior officials as Vanja was arguing).

>> Toby

>> ___________________________________
>>
>> TOBY MENDEL

EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR

t...@law-democracy.org [12]

>> Tel: +1 902 431-3688
>>
>> Fax: +1
902 431-3689

at 21:13, Zahid Abdullah wrote:

>> Thanks everyone for answering
the question. What should be our position? Should the tax data be made
public? What are the pros and cons?

>> Zahid
>>
>> FROM:
Venkatesh Nayak [14]

>> SENT: Thursday, December 13, 2012 3:05 AM

>> TO: 'Francesca' [15] ; 'Toby Mendel' [16]
>>
>> CC: 'FOI
Advocates' [17]

>> SUBJECT: Re: [foianet] Parliamentarians Tax Data

>> Dear all,
>>
>> Perhaps Norway is the only country which
allowed public disclosure of taxpayer data for a month in October. Do
they still do it?

>> Thanks
>>
>> Venkat
>>
>> FROM:
foianet-boun...@lists.foiadvocates.info [18]
[mailto:foianet-boun...@lists.foiadvocates.info [19]] ON BEHALF OF
Francesca
>> SENT: Thursday, December 13, 2012 3:26 PM
>> TO: Toby
Mendel
>> CC: FOI Advocates
>> SUBJECT: Re: [foianet] Parliamentarians
Tax Data

>> Hello Toby, Zahid and everyone,
>>
>> What happened
is quickly said, alas: the Italian Data Protection Agency stepped in 24
hours after the online publication of the data, following a flurry of
protests, and orderes their removal, arguing it was a breach of privacy
:-/

>> Best regards,
>>
>> Francesca
>>
>> --
>>
>> Francesca
Fanucci

>> Lawyer - Consultant on freedom of expression

Senior Associate at Free Expression Associates (www.foeassociates.com
[20])

>> London, UK
>>
>> Email: franf...@gmail.com [21]

Skype account: franfanu

profile: http://uk.linkedin.com/in/francescafanucci [22]

>> "In a
time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act" --
(George Orwell)

<t...@law-democracy.org [23]> wrote:

>>> Same in Canada. And Italy,
although apparently the Min. of Finance released all of the tax records
one year in a Rambo move towards openness which cause a lot of furore,
although I am not sure what happened.

___________________________________

>>> TOBY MENDEL

EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR

>>> CENTRE FOR LAW AND DEMOCRACY

t...@law-democracy.org [1]

>>> Tel: +1 902 431-3688
>>>
>>> Fax:
+1 902 431-3689

(www.foeassociates.com [24])

franf...@gmail.com [25]

>> Skype account: franfanu
>>
>> Fax:
0044 7092872411

http://uk.linkedin.com/in/francescafanucci [26]

___________________________________

t...@law-democracy.org [6]

>>> Tel: +1 902 431-3688
>>>
>>> Fax:
+1 902 431-3689

2012, at 03:53, Alexander Kashumov wrote:

>>> Hi Zahid,

In Bulgaria tax data of both citizens and officials (including
parliamentarians) are not public. Only data of income and assets of high
ranking officials are public, but tax data definitely not.

>>> As
far as I know, though I might be wrong, everywhere in Europe is the same
with the exception of Sweden and Norway (Denmark left that small
community on that matter few years ago). In Norway I heard there is
debate to stop this openness as well.

>>> But let other countries
speak about their situation themselves! I am also curious to know
whether there are new/other developments.

>>> Best regards,
>>>

>>> Alexander
>>>
>>> Alexander Kashumov, attorney-at-law
>>> Head of
Legal Team
>>> Access to Information Programme
>>> 76 Vassil Levski
Blvd. Apt.3

E-mail: kashu...@aip-bg.org [8]

>>> На 2012-12-13 22:01, Zahid
Abdullah написа:

countries tax data is regarded as public data? In Pakistan, tax data is
not regarded as public data. CPDI and CRIP jointly carried out studied
titled 'Representation without Taxation' which was launched yesterday
and which has been largely carried out by local and international
newspapers. It was also topic of different evening television talk shows
here. Following is the link of the story

evading tax: Study

http://dawn.com/2012/12/13/ministers-lawmakers-evading-tax-study/ [3]

and Development Initiatives (CPDI)
Nazim-ud-Din Road, F-11/1, Islamabad, Pakistan
2108287 (Ext.102), Fax:+92 51 2101594, Cell:+92 333 5214748
za...@cpdi-pakistan.org [4], website: www.cpdi-pakistan.org [5]; skype:
zahidisd

Links:
------