On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 3:19 PM, Kurt Stephens <k...@kurtstephens.com> wrote:

> Alejandro F. Reimondo wrote:
>
>> John,
>>  >Where else should I look?
>>  In my opinion what is "missing" in the languages
>>  formulations is sustainability of the system. [*]
>> In case of formula/abstract based declaration of systems
>>  all alternatives make people put on the idea(L) side
>>  and not in the system itself (the natural side).
>> Smalltalk is the only alternative of sustainable system
>>  development used commertially today.
>>

> Smalltalk did not spawn an entire industry of specialized hardware like
> Lisp.  However Lisp hardware is a collector's item now. :)
>
> There are plenty of commercial projects using Common Lisp today and from
> what I can tell, there has been renewed, grassroots interest in Lisp (CL and
> Scheme) over the last 5 years.  Smalltalk is not the only alternative.  Both
> have ANSI standard specifications.
>
> KAS

Have you read the Lisp Lore [1] book for a history of Lisp machines?

I am personally just 25 years old, and have been trying to buy a Symbolics
Genera machine on eBay for a year now, and just can't get one at a
reasonable price.

However, what I read in [1] is that the systems inherently were unstable in
terms of dynamic reconfiguration (Ale's main point about openness).  I
personally believe any system should inherently support superstabilization
in its core.  Superstabilization is generalization of Dijkstra's definition
of system stability.

If necessary. I can quote pages from this book that mentions the instability
of reconfiguring the system.

[1]  LISP Lore: A Guide to Programming the LISP Machine by  H. Bromley,
Richard Lamson ISBN-13: 978-0898382280