Whilst I share the feeling that a lot more should have been possible, the
earlier work informed or transformed almost all of what personal computing is
today, and arguably, the embodiments that are closest to the original are
proving themselves to be most successful.

With hindsight, I don't think it's obvious that different tactics would have
changed the outcome.  I would be interested to hear how you think greater
impact could have been achieved the first time around.