Hi David,

The often used quote by Einstein is:

"Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler"

People interpret that in a lot of interesting ways, but it does point to a
'minimum simplicity'.

In software, you might build a system with 100,000 lines of code. Someone else
might come along and build it with 20,000 lines of code, but there is some
underlying complexity tied to the functionality that dictates that it could
never be any less the X lines of code. The system encapsulates a significant
amount of information, and stealing from Shannon slightly, it cannot be
represented in any less bits.

If you let your imagination go wild, you can envision a system with twice as
much functionality. Now it may be that it requires less than 2X lines of code,
but it still has a minimum.

All modern systems we have today exist in silos. Many interact with each other,
but for the most part we are forced to deal with them individually. If we
wanted to get closer to what Zed was describing, we'd have to integrate them
with each other. Given that there are probably huge redundancies it wouldn't
end up being N*X lines of code, but given the amount of information we've
encoded it our various systems it would still be stunningly large.

I think Windows is up around 50M. There may be systems out there that are
larger. I certainly can imagine a system that might contain 500M lines of code.
It would be a pretty nice piece of software, but I honestly doubt that we could
build such a thing (as a single thing*) given our current technologies.

*One could take the Internet as a whole with its 2.3 billion users and untold
number of machines as a 'single system'. I might accept that, but if it were so
I'd have to say that its overall quality is very low in the sense that as one
big piece it is a pretty messy piece. Parts of it work well, parts of it don't.

If things are expanding then they have to get more complex, they encompass
more. Our usage of computers is significant, but it isn't hard to imagine them
doing more for us. To get there, we have to expand our usage and thus be able
to handle more complexity. Big integrated systems that make life better by
keeping it more organized are probably things we absolutely need right now. Our
modern societies are outrageously complex and many suspect unsustainable. The
promise of computers has been that we could embed our intellect into them so
that we could use them as tools to tame that problem, but to get there we need
systems that dwarf our current ones.

Paul.

>________________________________

    amount of complexity somewhere else.

>>this is generally considered a good tradeoff, because the reduction
    of complexity in things that are seen is perceptually more important
    than the increase in internal complexity in the things not seen.

>>although it may be possible to reduce complexity, say by finding
    ways to do the same things with less total complexity, this will not
    actually change the underlying issue (or in other cases may come
    with costs worse than internal complexity, such as poor performance
    or drastically higher memory use, ...).

>>>Paul.

                to allow massive
                but it gave us a way