On 6/15/2012 12:27 PM, Paul Homer wrote:
I wouldn't describe complexity as a problem, but rather an attribute of the universe we exist in, effecting everything from how we organize our societies to how the various solar systems interact with each other.

Each time you conquer the current complexity, your approach adds to it. Eventually all that conquering needs to be conquered itself ...

yep.

the world of software is layers upon layers of stuff.
one thing is made, and made easier, at the cost of adding a fair amount of complexity somewhere else.

this is generally considered a good tradeoff, because the reduction of complexity in things that are seen is perceptually more important than the increase in internal complexity in the things not seen.

although it may be possible to reduce complexity, say by finding ways to do the same things with less total complexity, this will not actually change the underlying issue (or in other cases may come with costs worse than internal complexity, such as poor performance or drastically higher memory use, ...).

Paul.

    *From:* Loup Vaillant <l...@loup-vaillant.fr>
    *To:* fonc@vpri.org
    *Sent:* Friday, June 15, 2012 1:54:04 PM
    *Subject:* Re: [fonc] The Web Will Die When OOP Dies

    Paul Homer wrote:
    > It is far more than obvious that OO opened the door to allow massive
    > systems. Theoretically they were possible before, but it gave us
    a way
    > to manage the complexity of these beasts. Still, like all
    technologies,
    > it comes with a built-in 'threshold' that imposes a limit on
    what we can
    > build. If we are too exceed that, then I think we are in the
    hunt for
    > the next philosophy and as Zed points out the ramification of
    finding it
    > will cause yet another technological wave to overtake the last one.

    I find that a bit depressing: if each tool that tackle complexity
    better than the previous ones lead us to increase complexity (just
    because we can), we're kinda doomed.

    Can't we recognized complexity as a problem, instead of an unavoidable
    law of nature?  Thank goodness we have STEPS project to shed some
    light.

    Loup.