I have kinda lost track of this thread so forgive me if I wander off in a
perpendicular direction.

I believe that things do not have to continually get more and more complex.
The way out for me is to go back to the beginning and start over (which is what
this mailing list is all about).
I constantly go back to the beginnings in math and/or physics and try to
re-understand from first principles.  Of course every time I do this I get less
and less further along the material continuum because the beginnings are so
darn interesting.

Let me give an example from arithmetic which I learned from Ken Iverson's
writings years ago.

As children we spend a lot of time practicing adding up numbers. Humans are
very bad at this if you measure making a silly error as bad. Take for example:

   365
+  366
------

this requires you to add 5 & 6, write down 1 and carry 1 to the next column
then add 6, 6, and that carried 1 and write down 2 and carry a 1 to the next
column
finally add 3, 3 and the carried 1 and write down 7
this gives you 721, oops, the wrong answer.  In step 2 I made a totally
dyslexic mistake and should have written down a 3.

Ken proposed learning to see things a bit differently and remember the  digits
are a vector times another vector of powers.
Ken would have you see this as a two step problem with the digits spread out.

   3   6   5
+  3   6   6
------------

Then you just add the digits. Don't think about the carries.

   3   6   5
+  3   6   6
------------
   6  12  11

Now we normalize the by dealing with the carry part moving from right to left
in fine APL style. You can almost see the implied loop using residue and
n-residue.
6  12 11
6  13  0
7   3  0

Ken believed that this two stage technique was much easier for people to get
right.  I adopted it for when I do addition by had and it works very well for
me. What would it be like if we changed the education establishment and used
this technique?  One could argue that this sort of hand adding of columns of
numbers is also dated. Let's don't go there I am just using this as an example
of going back and looking at a beginning that is hard to see because it is
"just too darn fundamental".

We need to reduce complexity at all levels and that includes the culture we
swim in.

cheers,
-David Leibs