Wesley Smith wrote:
If things are expanding then they have to get more complex, they encompass
more.
Aside from intuition, what evidence do you have to back this statement
up?  I've seen no justification for this statement so far.

As I recall, there was a recent Nobel prize that boiled down to: Increase the energy flowing into a system, and new, more complex, behaviors arise.
Biological
systems naturally make use of objects across vastly different scales
to increase functionality with a much less significant increase in
complexity.  Think of how early cells incorporated mitochondria whole
hog to produce a new species.

Encapsulating complexity (e.g, in mitochondria) doesn't eliminate complexity. Encapsulation and layering MANAGES complexity allowing new layers of complexity to be constructed (or emerge) through combinations of more complicated building blocks.

Miles Fidelman