What sickness science brings to everyday people!  They cannot even believe in
mysterious things, such as the divine, without first thinking it has to show up
on a laboratory microscope.

The petri dish has to exist before the thing will be acknowledged as fitting
inside a petri dish.

"We don't have a petri dish for that.  It cannot exist.  I cannot study it
inside of its petri dish."

"Tell me where its petri dish is first, then I will believe you and we will go
study it."

Mystical things of the past are regarded as superstition, described in terms of
theoretical, mechanical concepts.  Automobiles, air planes, and light rail
trains are the indicators of supreme accomplishments given to man by this
modern science.

Computers, electronics are never questioned for what they are underneath-- a
huge mess of chemical circuits.  Contemptible expediency in its approach to
making its own version of warped plastic and silicon clockwork.

Cram as much as you invent into the smallest space possible, sheath it with
cosmetic jewelry cases, and sell it to the world, telling the world it is pure
jewelry, inside and out.  When it happens to hit the floor, the lie is
exposed-- a mess of soldering, wires, and toxic chemicals.

Dazzling athletics, to cram this inelegant approach to match the world's demand
for novelty and excitement.

Pack it all into a tiny package.  Call it sheer wizardry and a triumph of
modern science.  Its engineers confounded by accusations of philistine
circuitry-- "engineering, math, and science works!  our engineering campus
buildings are not ugly-- they are utilitarian!  I like math and was good at it
in high school."

If the shoe fits, wear it regardless of whether the shoe is distasteful in
appearance on the outside.  Make a distasteful shoe, cover it up with a
cosmetic shell.  Where there is a problem, an engineer will solve it.  Make
sure that you don't need a solution you want to know about, however.  Just be
content that a problem was solved and look the other way when the details are
explained of its operation.

"That'll do the trick."

I didn't like parabolas because the world cannot be reduced to two, three, or
four axes, thank you very much.

I don't like polynomials because I want to draw the line before I call it a
function of the world, saying that the world consists only of deterministic,
reductionist functions.  "Oh, then you are just tired of 'discreteness' and you
need its polar opposite of discreteness, non-discreteness."

Such is mathematics and science today.  "Why does no one want to learn math and
science anymore??"