Hi.

"levan shoshiashvili" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Since there is very, very nice pfaedit(i can compare it with
> fontmonger, but pfaedit is much better) and people can do type1 fonts
> right away on linux boxes without  using any "side" :) methods on other
> well known OS, why not make freettf or GNUTTF project at sourceforge ?

I'm keeping an eye on PfaEdit, but I think it is still quite unstable
at the moment. I'm waiting for it to mature (both in terms of
stability, features and usability) so that I don't get frustrated
working with fonts.

As to your idea, well, I've had an early draft at
http://dreamer.nitro.dk/gnu/fff for some time now. But my idea was of
a project for all font types -- not just TrueType. I think the first
stage should be to define the concept of "Free font".

The question is, if you were to make "Free" fonts, how do the standard
free licences apply to fonts? A font isn't exactly a program with it's
binary and a source...

It would be interesting hear RMS's opinion, because I sure he has made
some thoughts on the subject because a Free GNU system need Free
fonts. I was thinking of sending an email to gnu.org with questions on
this subject, but I don't have motivation right now :-) Perhaps
someone else could do it? Perhaps someone already *has* done it?

--
Sergej Malinovski [http://dreamer.nitro.dk]