KP> XFree86 ships with a large number of mappings, and it would be
KP> useful to either have the encoding name exposed so we can go get
KP> the mapping.

The pcf driver will expose all the properties of a pcf font as soon as
possible.  About the encoding name...

[From the pcf driver readme]

Encodings
*********

The variety of encodings that accompanies pcf fonts appears to encompass the
small set defined in freetype.h.  On the other hand, each pcf font defines
two properties that specify encoding and registry.

I decided to make these two properties directly accessible, leaving to the
client application the work of interpreting them.  For instance:

  #include "pcftypes.h"  /* include/freetype/internal/pcftypes.h */

  FT_Face     face;
  PCF_Public_Face  pcfface;

  FT_New_Face( library,..., &face );

  pcfface = (PCF_Public_Face)face;

  if ((pcfface->charset_registry == "ISO10646") &&
        (pcfface->charset_encoding) == "1")) [..]

Thus the driver always export ``ft_encoding_none'' as
face->charmap.encoding.  FT_Get_Char_Index() behavior is unmodified, that
is, it converts the ULong value given as argument into the corresponding
glyph number.

Regards,
-francesco