Brian Stell wrote on 2002-02-04 15:44 UTC:
> What happens when the iso10646 font does not have all the
> char/glyphs in a iso8859-x encoding?
>
> The strageties I can think of are:
>
>  1) produce a iso8859-x font with missing glyph:
>
>     This seems likely to cause "blank" chars to be
>     displayed.  It's my impression that most X apps tend
>     to assume that non-iso10646 X fonts have all the
>     glyphs in the encoding and do not actually query the
>     font for the valid glyph list. Without knowing the
>     valid glyph list there is no way to fill in the
>     missing glyphs from other fonts.
>
>  2) don't make the iso8859-x font

At the moment, with the script that calls ucs2any.pl, we do 1), however
we call it only for those iso8859 variants that make sense. For example,
the Times/Helvetica fonts do not (yet!) contain Cyrillic, therefore we
do not generate any KOI8-R or ISO 8859-5 out of them.

If a glyph needed for an 8-bit font is missing in the iso10646 source
font, then ucs2any spits out a warning message during conversion. If I
remember correctly, this happens at the moment only for a few useless
cases, such as the box drawing characters in italic KOI8-R fonts, as I
though it to be of little use to add box drawing characters to italic
fonts at all.

Rule of thumb: If a character is missing in any of the currently
generated 8-bit fonts, then it is usually a stupid character anyway,
such as italic box drawing. There are no bad surprises in the iso8859
fonts at the moment, as the iso10646 fonts are sufficiently complete
for the subsets that are generated out of them.

BTW: While there is so much concern about completeness of X11 Unicode
fonts here, I discovered yesterday that Netscape 6.2's PostScript
printer driver has an extremely disappointing character coverage. I
couldn't get it to print even a single non-ISO-8859-1 character, even
though the standard PostScript fonts contain all characters needed for
example to print for instance

  http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/ucs/groff_char.txt

(a simple UTF-8 file that lists all character that can currently appear
in Linux man pages, even when printed on PostScript).

Markus